Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  November 8, 2015 10:00am-11:00am CST

10:00 am
>we'll sell down with michael mccaul, chair of the house homeland security committee, to get the latest on the investigation and the growing terror threat. then -- >> i will be on a stage debating wherever they put me. put one in the middle of the square in manchester, i'll do it there. >> we'll talk with governor christie about how getting bumped from the big debate on tuesday will affect his cammign. it's's fox news exclusive. plus donald trump returns to nbc despite protests. >> i've been to say you're doing a great job. in fact i think this show got better by about 2 billion%. >> our panel discussion his appearance, questions about ben carson as past and jeb bush's future. and helping wounded veterans heal through the sound of music. >> weent and served and were
10:01 am
these songs together. >> all right now on "fox news sunday." still more signs point to a bomb causing the crash that killed the 224 people on board. russia reportedly asking g he fbi toto help with forensic analysis and suspending all flights to egypt. connor pyle is live with the latest. connor? >> chris, the evidence continues to mount supporting both the british and american theory that there was a bomb aboard this russian metrojet plane. now a top egyptian investigator said a noise from a, quotes, undetermined source was heard on the black box recording imimdiately before the a acraft went down. that sound lily a bomb according to most analysts. earlier in the week, the
10:02 am
pentagon also said they detected a sudden and heat blast, however, authorities say it's way too early to draw any conclusions, and even american officials are hedging their by this says 90% with certainly it was a bomb. thehejoint investigatiti "new york times" reporting, ough, the fbi isis also helping with forensic analysis. given the increased tensions between washington and the kremlin, this is a rare cooperation between the two. now, isis or an eye says-affiliated group seems to be the most likely suspect, but chris, given the lack of information about what type of bomb it was or how it got on board and through airport security makes it a real mystery about who exactly the people who carried out this attack were. conor powell, reporting from the region, thanks for that. we wanted to discuss the growing possibilityof a terror attack with michael mccaul.
10:03 am
he joins us from the reagan library in california where he's attending a reagan naonal defense forum. chairman, what's the latest intel on the e wn tel on the latess >> we have is the reporting itself, which indicates there was an explosion on the aircraft. when you couple that with the satellite technology, this flash of heat on the airplane, is the fact that isis has declared war on russia, this was a russian plane headed for russia, in addition to the u.s. and uk intelligence that we have received, i think ought indicators are pointing to the fact this was isis putting a bomb on an airplane. >> so a week after this terrible incident, what do you think of the likelihood it was a bomb, a terror attack. >> i've a high degree of confidence it was.
10:04 am
looked at the facts, the region itself, the fact they want to hit the russians, i must say this is a new chapter to isis. typically we looked at al qaeda in thhrabian peninsnsla as the premier bomb makeke if you will, hitting the aviation sector, their crown jewel, but now you're looking at isis now putting bombs on airplanes, which concerns me greatly, not just for russian airlines, but aye frankly american-bound flights into the united states. >> i want to pick up on that in a second. you use a term of art there, in fact, a high degree of confidence. what does that mean when you say that? >> well, thaha's based upon the intelligence reports out there, based on the black box reporting, based on the satellite imagery, and based on the fact that isis has declared war against russia, now that russia has set foot in syria, now russia has its own homeland security problems in and of
10:05 am
i would think, to a 9/11 for them that they have to deal with. so i think you p p all these factorses together, in all the officials i have talked to, i think everything is pointing towards the fact this was an isis-related attack. the question is, how did the bomb get on the airport. there's a lot of theory that this possibly could have been an inside job at the airport to put the luggage in the hull of the aircraft. >> let me ck occupy that aspect righthtaway. the department of homeland security has announced increased security, especially at foreign airplanes, especially at mideast airports and unnamed tightening of securities at some domestic airports. thanksgiving is only a couple weeks ago, 25 million americans will be flying over the holidays, do you think dhs is doing enough? >> i talkedto the secrerery at
10:06 am
admirable neffingng, the tsa's new administrator, i think they are being proactive. they are the last points of departure airports, flights coming into the united states, ramping up security, both screening, but also vetting employees for the insider threat, and also looking at high-threat risk sflaef airports in addition to those where we can coordinine with host coununies to better upd.a. grade their security. sharm el sheikh does not have the best screening process in place, we think this is probably how this happened. >> i want to get into that. i think it's fair to say we focus as a nation overwhelmingly on passengers and their bags, what happens out front, but people are now talking increasingly about the threre and especially at foreign airports througug the back door, whether it's baggage handlers or other personnel, caterers, that
10:07 am
the plane and could plant a bomb on board a plane, having nothing to do with the passengers. how big a threat is that? how big a security lapse is that both overseas andomestically? >> it's a huge threat and we think this is likely how it got on to this airplane. they could be is bribed or radicalized enough to. in puerto rico we have many cases of is it corruption, putting drugs and weapons on planes inbound. it wouldn't take a lot to put a mb on one of those airports well. that's a main thininfrom the homeland security standpoint, we're worried about the planes coming into the united states. i will say this, if i could add, being at the reagan library, peace through strength is what reagan talked about. when you project weakness
10:08 am
throughout the if world in a failed foreign policy, this is what you get. now we have chaos in the midd east, isis taking over iraq, syria and northern africa,a, egypt, now we have the russssns in there. and it's presented a very complicated strategy moving forward in terms of protecting the american people. >> well, let me ask you about that, because i think it's fair to say that president obama has primarily dealt with isis up until now pass a regional threat, as a group that was primarily interested in creating a caliphate across the middle east and north africic if they're responsible for what would in effect by the worst act of air terrorist since 9/11, doesn't that change the nature of the threat from isis? >> well, you know, again he called it the jv team, but now we're seeing isis bring down airplanes with bombs, which is what al qaeda did. as you said, the greatest aviation, terrorist event sincece
10:09 am
9/11. what i i nt to see, what's interesting is what the russian response will be. their target packages have en primarily to pbop up assad and his regime in the region, not to goisis. we've seen in the last couple days, though, attacks now, air strikes in raqqa going against isis. the sad fact is, because of we've had a failed policy and failed leadership, now we're having to rely onn russians and the iraninis to go intoyria to fight and destroy isis. and that's kind of where we are today. i think, again, it's this weakness invites aggression. we have not handled this right. we haven't done anything. we haven't made decisions in the region in terms of a strategy, and when you don't have a strategy, you fail. i think we're seeing this unfold before our veve eyes. >> we have seen how putin has sponded in the past in
10:10 am
brutally taking down opposition in that country twice during his time as president of russia. how forcefully, if it turns out to be a revenge again isis, because russia has launched a higher profile, how forcefully do you expect putin to respond? anan is there a possibility if pewing is going after isis, there a possible of the us and russia acting in concert against isis? >> i think there's the possibility. we're deconflicting our mission right now to make sure we're not killing each other, but the fact is what we have in common is the disdain for -- the russians warned us about the chechen rebel, so there is a common desire there to eliminate the jihadists. they haven't really done so thus far in their air strikes, but i do think after this event
10:11 am
these touch foot in the region, they have their own homeland security problems also, and it's to their advantage to turn their sightssoisis, and it's mymy hope that we can draw the arab nations and nato and the coalitionorces in a joint effort against isis. that had be the only positive thing out of think tragedy. president obama is apparently launching a new push to close the u.s. prison facility at guantanamo, apparentnt going to try to go first through congreres, but if congress refuses, there's talk about more executive action. your responsible to that? >> -- in the war in iraq and afghanistan, and we've seen how well that worked. he didn't leave a residual force in iraq and now we have isis in iraq, and now the last piece is to close guantanamo. he tried t tsefore unccessfully, but i ink
10:12 am
you'll see an executive action to close down guantanamo. these the worst of the worse terrorists, where will they go? if they set foot on american soil, i predict the american people will stand up in outrage. i've been donenethere, i've seen liquid shakekhalid sheikh mohammed, and the fact we're bring him into america to provide a mecca for the jihadists we're already having radicalized individuals hitting military installations in the united states. if we bring these guys into these facilities, you're going to be a heightened terror a art threat i ithe united statete and ghly reckless and irresponsible. >> very briefly, if the president were to go ahead as you predict with executive action, is there anything you and congress can do about it?
10:13 am
>> well, he's done this before, and it's hard to stop this kind of action. i would hope the american people would rise up in numbers so strongly that, as he triri to do this last time that he'll decide to back down from that decision. >> chairman mccall,kaulccaul, thank you for joining us, and we will stay on top of the investigation. >> thank you, chris. up next, chris christie on his viral video, his rise in new hampshire, and getting bumped from the main debate stage this tuesday. but at t. rowe price, we can help p ide ur investments through good times and bad. for over 75 5 ars, our clients have relied on us to bring our best thinking to their investments so in a variety of market conditions... you can feel confident... our experience. call a t. rowe price retirement specialist or your advisor see how we can help make the most of your retirement savings. t. rowe price.
10:14 am
jeb b sh: we do not have to be the world's policeman. we have to be the world's leader. who's going to take care of the christians that are being eliminated in the middle east? who's going to take care of israel and support them - our greatest ally in the middle east? the united states has the capability of doing this, and it's in our economic and national security interest that we do it. the united states has the capability of doing this, andnd it's in our economic a a nationon securityr coununy going forward. announcer: right to rise usa is responsible for the content of this message. big day? ah, the usual. moved some new cars. hauled a bunch of steel. kept the supermarket shelves stocked. made sure everyone got their latest gadgets. what's up for the next shift? ah, nothing much. juju keeping the lights on. (laugh) nice. doing the big things that move an economy. see you tomorrow, mac. see you tomorrow, sam.
10:15 am
. well, it's been an eventful week for new jersey governor chris christie, a video of him talking about addiction went viral on the internet and polls show him gaining traction in newew hampshire, but he's been bumped from the primetime debate on tuesday night for failing to average 2.5% in recent national polls. governor christie joirns us in washington to discuss this. welcome back. >> good to be back, chris. >> you have reacted to your demotion as positively as you can. you say put up a a podium,m,i'll talk abt the issues wherever it is, but how big a is thatback? >> obviously i don't prefer it. i would rather by on the stage, but here's the thing. this is the problem with
10:16 am
washington all along, chris, right? everybody is looking at polls rather than talking about principles. our campaign is talking about the principles we believeven. if we have less of that in washington, d.c. we'll have a much more effective government. the telling it like it is is meaning what i say, that's what i'll do on the stage and next day i'll go to iowa and keep doing it. there are some practicalities. at the end of september, your cash on hand for the third quarter was $1.4 million, which is not a lot of money. does itt hurt with donations when you get bumped from the main event to the undercard? >> actually it hasn't. it's gone the op sips direct. a lot of people disagree with what fox did, and we've got more donation than the week before, because people feel like we're getting a raw deal. it hasn't hurt at all. in fact incrededly, i thought what you did.
10:17 am
people are lookout there to look for the -- so keep doing it. let's look at the rise of your poll here. in january, in the real clear politics average you were second behind jeb bush with more than 11%, now you're tiedfor nintnt at 2.3%. question -- what happened? >> it's hard to tell. campaigns are something that really change from wee t week to week, as we've seen. in that poll there was no donald trump at that point. that makes a big difference since he's been in first place in the national polls, but what really matters is what's happening in new hampshire and iowa. you know from covering campaiais for a long timeme national pollsls had usedie giuliani ahead, herman cain in 2011, that esn't matter. we feel great momentum in new hampshire and iowa. our numbers tripled in iowa and quadrupled in new hampshire. we're going to go to work and let people hear about the things
10:18 am
we care about. >> i'm going to talk about new hampshire in a second, but you brought up trump. there's anarmchair idea, analysis that you'll be the largest that is life bombastic guy, and trump has kind of filled that space and that has diminished you. is there some truth to that? >> i think we'll only know that -- and then we'll know exactly what that was. i'll tell you what we do know is the american people are concerneded about where this government is headed. they want a extrastrong, decisive president who will tell it like it is and mean what he says and. >> one sign of live is in new hampshire, where in a recent poll you're not in fifth place with 8%. as you say that's a big ininease. is ittair toay itit new hampshire or bust for you? >> no, because you think we'll compete in iowa as well, chris. but i think for any of the
10:19 am
candidates, if you don't do well in iowa and new hampshire, your campaign is going to be in trouble, so you have to do well. that's what we're going to do. >> a video, talking about things -- a video went viral this week, million of people have watat it,of you talking about crinal justice, me treatment than imprisonment for people that suffer from drug addiction, and you talked especially about a friend of yours who suffered from this. here's a clip. >> when i sat there as the governor of new jersey at his funeral and looked across the pew at his three daughters sobbing, bececse their dad is gone, thereut for the grace of god go i. it can happen to anyone. we need to start treating people in this country, not jailing them. >> what's your larger point? >> my largeer point, chris is
10:20 am
people committing violent acts need to go prison, because near putting this poison our neighborhoods. but the addicts, the small-time users, i talk in the video about my mom. my mom was addicted to cigarettes. she smoked for 5 years and died of lung cancer. when he got diagnosed with lung cancer, no one said donon treat her, she gets what she deserves. where he need to think differently about this. but i'm also opposed to@ drug legalization. i tell you one thing quickly. i was outside a town hall meeting in hanover that i was having. there was a couple standing out there with their dog. i went up and said hello, anan they said we wanted to come here and say we saw your video, we want to thank you for talking aboutthis. we lost our son a wk ago today. his sister goes up here to school. we're grieving together, but i wanted to say thank you. we need someone to talk about
10:21 am
we don'tant our son to have died in vain. this is happening all over america, and we nee to get ahold offit. if we don't, it will ruin the fabric of our society. >> but critics note that you have opposed building more state drug treatment centers in new jersey and they node in 2013, only 10% of people seeking drug treatment in new jersey could be accommodated, that there were beds for them, and they know you want to repeal obamacare, whwhh has expanded insurance coverage for people with mental health problems or substance abuse problems. isn't there a contradiction? >> no, we have 21 drug courts in all 21 of our counties. second, i want -- >> that started before you were governor. >> no, excuse me. there were only three drug courts i i new jersey when i starard as goveveor. it's now 21. i changed the law to expand it to have drug courts in every county in my state.
10:22 am
secondly, chris, i don't want this to be purely a government solution. by putting more money into this, and we've put money into the treatment budget to allow the private sector to provide this treatment. i don't want to build government facilities, you're absolutely right. the private 3ector will fill this -- >> if only 10% of the people can be accommodated. >> by the way, that's much more than were accommodated before. >> but it can't be good. >> listen, by the way, i don't think that numbereris ccurate, but i'm'mnot going to quibble with you on the number. the fact is we're doing much more than ever before, so there is no contradiction. you talk to anybody in new jersey who's more committed go to jim mcgreevy and talk to him, hardly a partisan in my favor, who has said i have turned it around. and so the bottom line is we
10:23 am
that really will make a long-term difference. >> let's do a lightning round. quick questions, quick answers. i know that was something that would be out of the other debates -- >> this isn't a debate. it's "fox news sunday." let's go. >> all right. here we go. >> you've bebe going after marco rubio lately on immigration. why? >> i just want people to be consistent. the president has signed what i believe is illegal executive orders. whether you agree or not, i don't think presidents should have illegal presidential orders. i understand now marco has changed his answer to say he agrees w wh me, sohat's good. he was originally saying, and this is tick tarly about the draem act, daca., whether people should be deported, you were yet
10:24 am
>> here's the good news. in the lightninground, changed his answer t t agreeee with me. >> but having said that, because one of the things you also said -- >> what happened to the lightning round? where is lightning? we're on the same subject. c'mon. >> in 2010 -- >> long questions, quick answers? >> no, no, i'm saying quick questions, they can all be on the same subject. >> oh. >> if he has jlipped on it and you criticized him for flipping, haven't you flipped also? >> i didn't criticize him for flipping. >> in fairness, you said i can't keep up with where he is on immigration. >> well, i can't keep up with him, because he saidd he's again it, but with this one, i wouldn't change it. the point is the president has engaged in illegal executive orders. i'm a law and order guy. i believe you have to follow the law and you should, and i'm glad marco has changed his position
10:25 am
to agree that as president we should enforce the law. and what about your flip on path to citizenship. >> i learned over the course of time in my state, in interacting with folks, we need to do it differently and allow for a lot different. we're back on lightning round rules. >> all right. president obama rejected the keystone pipeline on friday. he says it would undercut our global leadership on fighting climate change. >> interested that he's interested in global leadership, and the only interested thing hi's interested in it is aed radical liberal policy. despite the fact that the state department -- and so does the epa administrator, this president is a radical environmental liberal. when i'm president, we'll build the keystone pipelelne if the canadians are still interested. >> you say you support free trade, but you've already come out against the agreement which
10:26 am
would eliminate 18,000 tariffs on u.s. exports. why isn't that a good thing? >> i don't truth this president to negotiate any deal. that's what my answer was. i wououn't let this president buy meme car, that's how bad a negotiator he is. i will not support tpp as negotiated by this president, because i'm convinced it will be just as bad as the iranian nuclear deal. finally on tuesday republicans lost at least at least more seats in the state assembly in new jersey, which means they may have only 28 of thth80 seats in the assembly. one of the big issues that the democrats ran on, is opposing republicans that supported you. what does tha say about your standing among the people who know you best? >> there was a 20% turndown, the lowest in new jersey history. the fact of the matter is this -- in the second midterm in governor's tete,ou always lose e seats. in fact we lost less than the
10:27 am
average governor has lost in the second term. so you can look at it that way, too, so we did better than most. but in the end i had a democratic legislature before and i have one after. if that happened in washington, you wouldn't be able to get anything donene but in new jersey we've reformed teachers' tenure and we've done the people's usiness and we'll d/ it again this year. i do the people's business. that's exactly what i'll dough when i come to washington. >> this lightning round has gone down the drain. thank you, governor. >> thank u, chchs. >> always good to talk with you. we'll see you on the debate stage tuesday night. >> looking forward to it. fox business network tuesday first at 7:00, then at 9:00 p.m. her, to find fbn in your april go to
10:28 am
up next donald trump hosts "turday night live." the president of mexico is here. >> ah, donald. >> enrique. >> i brought you the check for the wall. >> oh, that's so wonderful. our sunday group reviews his
10:29 am
next. coming up on "fox news sunday," republican presidential candidate ben carson sams the media over questions about his past. >> it's a smear campaign, but i'm not going to play that game
10:30 am
10:31 am
10:32 am
y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y. fun tonight. >> you're a racist. >> who the -- i knew this was going to happen. >> trump's a racist. >> what are you doing, larry? >> i heard if i yelled that, they would give me $5,000. >> as a businessman, i can fully respect that. well, donaldrump last night taking time off the traditional campaign trail to host "saturday night live." it's time for our sunday group, karl rove, gop, juliepace,, kimberly strassel, and juan williams. karl, a heck of a way to run president, do you think it helps or hurts trump? >> it helped. everybody got their moment last night. he god to be marked by the "saturday night live"" crowd a a he got a chanceto say he's a
10:33 am
i think we can blame this on calvin coolidge, the first president to appear on the white house lawn in an indian headdress. since then presidents have felt compelled to occasionally mock themselves and candidates have gotten in thth habit. it was, hohover, i have to say, not very funny. >> are you talking about calvin coolidge. >> the opening skit was okay, mainly because daryl hannah did a more loose and realizic donald trump than donald trump did, but when the high moments of his appearance as bernie sanders, larry david's impersonation of bernie sanders, and then appearing on stage to smartly get rid of the chance for him to be interrupted by a taunt, and collecting $5,000, i understand this morning the people who are putting up the money to get something to say that during trump's appeararce arar actually going to p p larry
10:34 am
>> you are really giving a review. >> would you you ordered me to stay up to 1:00 until morning i don't know -- >> actually 1978 is the last time i watched it, and i think thaas the last time it was funny. >> ooh. >> there was quite a sizable crowd protesting. at the white house, do they think the controversy over trump about his comments, about illegal immigrants, people in this country illegally, let's say trump isn't the nominee, do they still think that had hurt republicans? >> they do. also coming from the clinton campaign, they're trying to say that other if candidates running for the nomination are saying think that are make not as bombastst as trump is saying, but on a pal basis they're actually quite similar.
10:35 am
essentially donald trump on this particular issue. >> let's turn to ben carson that become said in the polls c ces with added scrutiny. there's been a lot discussion about his involvement with west point. he said repeatedly he had been offered a full scholar to west point. here's what he originally said. >> i was offered a full scholar ship, got to meet general westmoremand westmoremand. >> i see he thousands of people saying don't let the media get you down, don't let them disturb you. see, they underststd this is a witch-hunt. >> kim, carson says this will
10:36 am
help him, not hurt him. >> i think it might, but there's a difference between vetten and vendetta.. i think a a lot of times when it comes to the press, they get this treatment that just nobody else gets, and it's -- >> i'm curious, do you think that examining whether or not he was offered a scholarship to west point, trying to find out the truth of that, is that a vendetet or vetting. >> that's probably something worst, but the cnn story where they go back 50 years looking at his childhood friend, is this a person you remember 5 years ago, somehow suggesting this is an appropriate look? look, i think the problbl for carson, though, and this does get to an issue, the channeling he has is how he wrote about he's the genuine outsider, but
10:37 am
the truth is that you have an experienced politics, they have a fifth sense about what they can say and not, so they know -- and they're careful they don't eage in loose language, because they know if they give that opening, here going to get hit. it's going to be an enduring problem. >> in fact your paper, "wall street journal" was invnvved in one of these things, involving a course that carson said he had taken a psychology course at le when he was a student there and that he was given an honesty experiment, and he was the only one who passed. "wall street journal" found out, went back to the records when he was at yalen the'60 there was no such psychology course and to the best of their ability there was no such honesty experiment. question for you, juan. is that vetting or vendetta? and isn't this particularly a problem for carson, because his
10:38 am
biogogphy is such a huge part of his campaign? >> i think that's right. this reminds me of a lot of rappers, you know? they hype, embellish, exaggerate for the presentation, a biography in this case. with the high school students, his classmates, and i think kikierly people do remember what happens in high school, i think her turned out more erickel than thug life. but the keyoint i i he remains an inspirational man, a poor black close from detroit who becomes a world-renounce surgeon. because, as you said, with the biography, his books end up in evangelical book stores, home-if schooling, and they love him for that inspirational life, his
10:39 am
miracle life. i would say that the difficulty is the truth factor. i don't know if you've noticed this, but when it comes to asking americans, which of these candidates do you like most? ben carson is number one. this then potentially starts to him him in that regard, listening to kimberly this morning, whether or not it's the conservative evangelical crowd that views him as an icon and views the media as the devil -- we have one more second jeb bush dramatically down and once again engaged in a reboot. >> i strive each and every day. i pray each and everyay to getet better as a husband, as a father, as a leader. i know i can get better. i believe in country is going to get better. >> karl, how much trouble is jeb
10:40 am
>> he's got a big challenge ahead, which is to demonstrate to the american people and republicans particular that he's steady, he's going to throw himself back in the fight and do things that will attract -- he needs a od night next week on the debate, but rudyard had that great poem "if." if you can keep your head while l about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you. when you can trust yourself wn allothers doubt you. it's that kind of moment for him. he had a good week this week. made a good speech in iowa. got good coverage. gave a speech in tampa that was good, but overshad owed a that the week before was very bad. we have to take a break. when we come back. after seven years of stud,, president obama finally rejects the keyspoken pipeline.
10:41 am
plus what wouldyou like to ask the panel to cut some candidates out of this week's debate. just go to facebook or twitter @foxnewssunday, and we made use your question on the air. those new glasses? they are. do i look smarter? yeah, a little. you're making money now, are you investing? well, i've been doing some research. let me introduce you to our broker. how much does he charge? i don't know. okay. uh, do you get your fees back if you're not happy? (dad laughs) wow, you're laughing. that's not the way the world works.
10:42 am
are you asking enough questions about the way your wealth is managed?
10:43 am
y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y. america's now a global leader when it comes to taking serious action to fight climate change. frankly approving this project would have undercut that global eadership. president obaa announcing his decision to reject the keystone pipeline after a seven-year review. we're back.ban. karl, the way he described it, this seems to be more about his legacy on environmental issues thth the specific merits about key stony. >> and the statement is frankly delusional. we're going to reduce emissions by the denial of the canadians to do this, and instead they're
10:44 am
to the west cocot of canada, ship it all the way across pacific, and let china burn it if facilities far less efficient. the idea this will reduce global climate issues is ridiculous. it's a political move, all about the legacy. he doesn't care about the consequences, andnd in this instance hs increasing the amount of global emissions as a result of sending it it to china rather than refine it here. we are the only major industrialized economy in the world in the last two decades which has grown its economy and reduced theabsolute levelf greenhouse gas emissions. that's because our policies are focused on efficiency rather than gobbledygook. >> what do you really think? that brinin me to this question, julie. one way or ear th oil will get moved out of the tar sands in
10:45 am
canada, and we'll probably end up with a larger carbon footprint. >> it's very odd. it's not like we're making a choice betweenn using this oil or another alternative choice of energy. what's particularly interesting when he finally made this announcement, for years we have had heard that the white house doesn't want keystone to be used as a symbol on either side of the debate, but the president is saying it's become a symbol, and if he w wld have approved this pipeline it would have been a sim up of a policy out of line of what he's been trying to do. so i think he's looking beyond the specifics, and liking at this more as part of a legaga. >> i hope i don't quote karl, but when you bring of that point, it probably will have more of an impact. their answer? >> they don't have a great answer on this. they go back to this basic idea that simply approving the
10:46 am
the a aept with the president's larger message. another controversy, that is the decision by the fox business network which you may have heard is having two republican debates on tuesday night to start winnowing the field of candidates who will participate in thosedebates. we asked you for questionsns for the panel, and we got a bunch on this subject, maher rr jennings-sill advance writes not one voter has made a decision yet. we should quit letting the media decide. theodore tweeted this -- why didn't you cut down more? >> i agree. this is a very fluid race. i don't think that this is a very good time to be taking people off the stage. these debates are having an enorm os impact ifr time you have one. it's reshuffling the r rce everer time. does it really hurt to have two more people up there on the stage? probably not. i'm not sure of the idea behind
10:47 am
this, particularly if you look at the states that matter, new hampshire and iowa, the polls ok veryifferent. what i'm hoping is a discussion about the economy and policies. that was one of the great disappointments of the last one. we were supposed to be having a serious conversation. when we've been talking about energy, health care, all of them have amazing plans, interesting stuff and it's time to have a debate about that. >> juan, reasonable or not to start cutting the number? this is the fourth republican debate. reasonable or not to start cutting the candidates? >> reasonable, rational and necessary i think both for the candidates and for the viewers, because you're going to have the opportunity for more probing questions, more time for response, so if there is something substantive on their issues, they will get the chance
10:48 am
neil cavuto, maria bart romo, serious journalists. so the opportunity to say -- i think there's going to be less opportunity for that at this debate, and thth will therefore, the candidates already on the spot to actually answer questions. so do trump and carson, who i don't think have done very well at answering questions, now they're going to be on the spot, because they're going to have the time to be asked the question and expect their responon. i can'n' simply just, you know, dial it in and say, i'm sorry, i forgot. i think it's a biggers opportunity for kasich, bigger opportunity for rubio. i think it's a bigger opportunity for those in the middle tier. they're going to have moror time totoespond and respond to hillary clinton who said the last debate up ten candidates, no ideas. okay. finally i want to pick up on the subject i was discussing near the top of the show with congressman mccaul, that is
10:49 am
these reports coming out that the president goingto go to congress this week with a plan to end guantanamo, move the prisoners to u.s. prison and talk if congress doesn't go along, he'll dough it by executive action. >> it's basically a two-prong strategy. it's going to look very similar to what you've heard the white house talking about, to get more closure for years, first piece of this is transferring some of the detainees to countries erseas f you'll likelyly have more detail on this report about costs and advantages, disadntages of certainly facilities, but the second prong here is really this threat of executive action, if congress doesn't act on this plan, the president is signaling he wouldd takak this on his own. >> you believe they would do that? >> i do. here are people in those states, i require dib durbin in
10:50 am
people in their states, these terrorists, the worst of the worse as m mccaul would call them. >> in some ways this has become personal for the president. i think it's very hard to imagine he would leave office and not at least take some kind of executive action to try to ulfill that promimi. >> what kind of blowback? >> i'm k kd of amazed you think the president cares about the law. look at his report so far. the company went through the process. that didn't help them at all.l. these are political decisio. he will probably now main an effort toward asking congress, and when they say no, he'll put the pin anyway. this may be personal to the president, but this is personal to a lot of it is, who don't necessarily want trists
10:51 am
necessarily next door to them. >> if the president takes executive -- if he presents a plan, he ought to give it the same amount of time he gave it to keysysne, thehe next seen years, and leave it to the next president. thank you, panel.
10:52 am
the week." no matter how fast the markets change, at t. rowe price, our disciplined investment approach remains. we ask questiononhere. look for risks there. and search for opportunity everywhere. global mkets may be uncertain. but you can feel confident in our investment experience... ... around the world. call a t. rowe price investment specialist, or your advisor... ...andndee how we can help you find global opportunity. t. rowe price.
10:53 am
weesday is veterans day, a time for us to thank those who served our country, but one man spends every day trying to help our wounded warriors heal through the sound of music. here's oururpower player of the e week." >> it's physical, it's ntal, it's emotional. it's sort of everything at once. >> arthur bloom is talking about usicorps, the program he founded and directs at walter reed medical center, help severely wounded warriors rebuild their lives. >> mentally, emotional, everything, your whole life gets blown up. there's all this time to get depressed, stare at the iling, anddto reflect on what has become of you. so what we do is we come in and fill that hole with music.
10:54 am
>> it started in 2007 when bloom met a soldier who used to play the drums, but had lost a leg. they rigged automatic drum set so he could play. that's when the julliard trained pianist found a mission. >> we wereble to figure out that puzzle. we try to move heaven and earth to help these guys play, no matter what. it's always worked. it's not a matter of if, butu just how do we get there? could keep me through the night >> corporal donely stepped on an ied, he lost both legs and damaged his hand. >> gettinin to rehears, perform, just hang out with these guys,
10:55 am
>> i went and served, were injured,d, and n n w wre playing these songs together. >> but it's more than therapy for these soldiers, many of whom who never played before. they goto good they performrm aand thatt has performed with sheryl crow, and this fall with rogeraters from pink floyd. >> it's a phenomenon. i cannot believe it. they are so good. >> bloom and other musicians hundreds over the e st eight years. but he notes tpere are tens of thousands of wounded warriors across the country. >> the idea we have to say no to anybody who wants to do the program is painful. weweught to be able to offer this forreverybody. >> but funding for musicorps is all private, from a few foundations and iividual donations. >> what difference does this
10:56 am
mick in their lives? >> one of guys told me he sees the guys at walter reed doing music and they're the ones who are happy. >> what differenceoes it make in your life? >> it's essentially my life's work and i'm devoted to making it happen. what a great program. if you want to learn more, just go too our website,, that's it for today.
10:57 am
you next "fox news sunday."y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y. >> howie: ght now --. it's week nine in the nfl but it's not just any other sunday. sunday. >> are you going to point like that? >> yeah. very traumatic. that's how you get people psyched about football. you point. >> michael: for the first time
10:58 am
10:59 am


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on